If you have finally decided to have dental implants placed, our entire staff wants to congratulate you! You are about to take a big, but important step toward a healthier, more complete life as you achieve renewed oral function.
Before you come in for your dental implant procedure, there are some things you should do to ensure your big day goes as smoothly as possible. Keep reading to find out how you can prepare.
Preparing for Your Dental Implant Procedure
Before you visit our Galesburg office for your dental implants surgery, a team member will call to provide you with important pre-op instructions, which you should be careful to adhere to. These instructions have been established by our doctors to keep you safe. If you choose to ignore these instructions, your procedure may be rescheduled. Pre-op instructions for dental implants will include things like:
- Do not eat or drink (including water) for six hours before your appointment.
- Eat a light meal for dinner on the night before the placement of your dental implants.
- Do not consume alcoholic beverages before your procedure.
- Your mouth and remaining teeth should be well cleansed before your appointment. When rinsing, try to avoid swallowing water.
- You must be accompanied by a responsible adult who can remain in the office during the entire procedure and drive you home when our doctors have released you.
- Following your dental implants’ placement and the anesthesia experience, Galesburg patients should not make important decisions, operate devices or heavy machinery, or drive a vehicle for 24 hours.
- Please wear comfortable clothing. Ideally, short sleeves should be worn to allow easy access for IV sedation.
- Remove contact lenses and all jewelry prior to the time of your procedure.
- On the day of your dental implants’ placement, do not wear excessive makeup, lipstick, or nail polish.
- Do not smoke at least 12 hours before surgery and cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible before the day of surgery.
- If you have a change in your health, please contact our office immediately.
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with our doctors prior to your surgical date for instructions.
- If you use an inhaler for asthma or a glucometer for diabetes, please bring it with you on the day of your dental implants procedure.
- Stock up on soft foods and liquids before your surgery. This will ensure you have suitable foods on hand when you return home.
- Enlist some help before your big day. Not only will someone need to drive you home after your dental implants are placed, but you may need a bit of help around the house in the first 24-hours after receiving anesthesia.
Call Associated Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons in Galesburg Today
If you have any other questions about preparing for your dental implants procedure, do not hesitate to contact our doctors in Galesburg. A member of their friendly team will be happy to help you in any way they can. You can reach them by calling (309) 344-3311 today.