Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
- The night before surgery eat a light meal for dinner
- Consume no alcoholic beverages
- Your mouth & teeth should be well cleansed before your appointment. When rinsing, try not to swallow the water
- The patient must be accompanied by a responsible adult who can remain in the office during the entire procedure to drive the patients home.
- Following the procedure and the anesthesia experience, patients should not make important decisions, operate devices or machinery or drive a vehicle for 24 hours
- Please wear a short sleeve
- Remove contact lenses & jewelry prior to the time of surgery. Wear eyeglasses
- On the day of the surgery, do not wear excessive makeup, lipstick or nail polish.
- No smoking at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery
- If you have a change in your health, please contact our office
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with your oral surgeons prior to your surgical date for instructions
- If you use an inhaler for asthma or a glucometer for diabetes, please bring with you the day of surgery
Eating Instructions for Sedation or General Anesthesia
Morning Surgery – NOTHING to eat or drink after midnight, NOT EVEN WATER. NO GUM.
Afternoon Surgery – NO milk products or solid foods after midnight. A clear liquid breakfast is permitted before 6:00am (water, black coffee, broth, apple juice). After 6:00am, NOTHING, not even water. No gum.
However, it is important that you take any regular medication(high blood pressure, antibiotics, etc.) or any medication provided by this office using only a small sip of water (2ounces or less).